Union Cemetery

Union Cemetery
Click on the Image to view the Cemetery Database

Monday, August 6, 2007

Digging for Kentucky State Grants

I recently sent an email to Mr Eugene Kiser who is Branch Manager, Special Projects Branch of the State Government and head of the Cemetery Preservation Office. I am posting my email and his response.

Dear Mr. Kiser,
Thank You in advance for taking a minute to read my message.
My name is Robert Pipes and I am writing about the Old Union (also know as Doctor's Fork Baptist) Cemetery near Perryville. Three generations of my Pipes ancestors are buried there, among them a Revolutionary Soldier and a Civil War Soldier. The Pipes family is only a small part of the over 200 known burials there, many of them soldiers, pioneers and the bedrock of Kentucky history. I am part of a group trying to raise funds to restore headstones and preserve and stabilize this Historic old cemetery. Founded about 1800, (possibly earlier) it has gone thru several periods of famine and prosperity and is currently in dire need of attention.

My purpose in writing is to gather information as to where I can possibly turn for help of any kind from the State of Kentucky. If you could point me in the proper direction to ask for funds or historic designation that might garner other funding or any leads that might help us save this old cemetery before it is gone forever, it would be greatly appreciated.

You can see some facts and info about what we are doing as well as pictures, stories etc. at:
http://www.unioncemetery.blogspot.com/

I do look forward to hearing from you soon.
Thank You,
Bob Pipes


Mr. Pipes:

As far as I know, the Cemetery Preservation Program administered by my agency is the only program that provides funds to assist with cemeteries such as yours. However, the General Assembly did not provide funds for the currently budget cycle that ends on June 30, 2008. We hope to receive funding in the session that begins in January as this has become a very popular program that has provided assistance throughout the state. Additionally, the end product clearly shows the hard work and efforts of those involved with each project.

The Kentucky Historical Society does provide classes in tombstone restoration and cleaning but I do not believe they have funds for individual cemeteries. Please continue to monitor the Cemetery Preservation web site, http://www.gold.ky.gov/grants/stategrants/kcpf.htm , for news up-dates on application acceptance.

Please do not hesitate to get back in touch with me if you have any additional questions.

Gene Kiser

No comments: