Union Cemetery

Union Cemetery
Click on the Image to view the Cemetery Database

Sunday, October 14, 2007

Update

About time for an update. I have been working on trying to set up a trip to Kentucky for the last two weeks and now it looks like it will be next weekend, the 19th and 20th. I plan to meet with Mike Wilder and talk about the stone and also see if I can recover some broken stones from the cemetery.
Donations have been nil for the last two weeks, so we are still at $1400.00. I have great faith in our family and I am sure we will find the rest.
John Sheperson has sent me a package of information about the early days of the Cemetery and he led me to a book about the life of Rev. Thomas Cleland, who was not the original leader of the Presbyterian group that started the church but he did take leadership from Rev. Samuel Robinson very early in the history of this church. I am working on a paper to detail as much as possible about the early days and the founding of the church. While reading through this material, I discovered that it had another name at one point. It was called Bethel Union for a time. (Update Note: John Sheperson points out that the previous sentence is my mistake. Bethel was a different church. I read the account wrong.) It also appears there is a difference of a couple of years regarding the start date of the church.
More later.

No comments: