Union Cemetery

Union Cemetery
Click on the Image to view the Cemetery Database

Friday, September 19, 2008

Montgomery family ties

I find it interesting that there are a few "founding" families in old Mercer County, at least in the southern part that became Boyle County and Marion County, and in the area around the Old Union Cemetery, that intermarried at a time in the late 1790s and early 1800s and created the families that spawned most of us reading this. Certainly James Gray, Michael Harmon and John Pipes were among them but as I study the history of the area I find several other names, like Hourigan, Crowdus, Brumfield, Copeland and Montgomery.

I know there are several others, please dont think I am not mentioning someone on purpose. Maybe we should start a list of original or founding families, that would be fun to do. email me if you have names that should be on the list.

My post in the article below about Allen S. Montgomery caused me to look at the Montgomery Family and this is what I found:
Robert Montgomery came here from Ireland and died in 1789 in Lincoln Co. after living in Augusta Co., Virginia. His son Robert(2) was born in Virginia and died in 1793 in Garrard Co, Kentucky. Robert(2)'s son Isaac Newton Montgomery B. 1781 in Lincoln Co. d. 1840 in Mercer Co. married Nancy Stone in 1803. ( I believe Isaac and Nancy are both buried in Union Cemetery). She was known as Nancy and as Sally. (Sally may have been her middle name.)

Isaac and Nancy had 4 children, here is a list of them and the persons they married:
Sally Montgomery b. 1804 married Morris Pipes ( both in Old Union)
Elias Montgomery b. 1808 married Catherine Harmon
Allen S Montgomery b. 1818 married Martha Pipes
Catherine J. Montgomery b. 1824 married John Bradford Harmon. (Both in Old Union)
These 4 marriages produced 30 children named Pipes, Harmon and Montgomery

No comments: