Union Cemetery

Union Cemetery
Click on the Image to view the Cemetery Database

Monday, August 20, 2007

Civil War Soldiers in Old Union Cemetery

I think it is also important for us to recognize and establish the Civil War Veterans Buried here.
There are 5 Known Civil War Vets here that I know of. Three of them rode with Morgan's Raiders from 1862 to the end of the war. They were released from Camp Douglas POW camp in Chicago in April of 1865. These three are My Great Grandfather Obediah Brumfield Pipes, and his cousins Elias Hardin Pipes and Bradford Pipes. A very interesting historical note is that Levi Allen Pipes is also buried here. He was a member of the 6th. Kentucky Cavalry and is a brother of Elias Hardin and my research indicates there was at least once when their units were involved in a skirmish and they were shooting at each other. There are short biographical sketches on each of these soldiers on my pipes web page.
The other veteran buried here is R.B. Young, a member of Company F, of the 2nd. Kentucky Volunteer Infantry.
I have made an inventory of the remaining men buried here and find 27 who are of an age to have possibly been in the Civil War. So much more research to do.
If you have info on any Civil War Vets buried here, please let me know.

No comments: