Union Cemetery

Union Cemetery
Click on the Image to view the Cemetery Database

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

An email from a Pipes descendant.

Judy Miller (jmiller5@bellsouth.net) is a descendant of Elias Hardin Pipes and Victoria Hourigan, They lived in the Aliceton/Gravel Switch area longer than any of the rest of the Pipes Clan. Her father is living in Louisville and is J.T. Pipes Jr. (James Thomas). He worked for the L& N railroad and is now 96 Years old.
She sent me this email today and said it was OK to post it here for all of you to read. [Update] Oops, it was her grandfather, JT Pipes Sr. who worked for the L& N, Judy is looking for a picture of him to show you.

"I continue to be amazed at all the mapping and restorative work you and your family have done at the cemetery. Thank you so much. I wanted to come from Georgia to Perryville the week you all were there but my father J.T. Pipes Jr. was in the hospital in Louisville with an intestinal blockage that had to have surgery and my brother and sister and I were taking care of him. This weekend (August 31st) we will celebrate his 96th birthday (his father lived to be 90 and his mother to 103, his sisters were in their nineties when they died). He is doing well. Living at home with daily help. When I see him this weekend I will ask him for a donation for you-he wants to do this but doesn't know how - I do! I am particularly interested in the condition of the gravestones for my direct ancestors John Jr. and Mary Pipes, Morris and Sallie Pipes and Elias and Victoria Pipes but I'm so glad the whole cemetery is being mapped and kept. I have visited the cemetery several times and taken pictures-mostly in the 1980's. There is a cemetery near Gravel Switch - don't know the name but it has Boards and Robertsons graves in it - we called that area down the hill from Gravel Switch, Aliceton. The house my great grandparents Boyle (yes he was named for the county and had a brother named Mercer) and Georgia Board Robertson lived in has crumbled to the ground - bought by someone for the tobacco base years ago. I stole a piece of fence from it one time. Wish I'd done more but couldn't find out who owned it. Anyway, the cemetery is just past the house. My parents took our family there many times in the 40's and 50's to see them. Their daughter Maggie Lee Robertson married J.T. Pipes Sr., who was an L & N railroad conductor - the tracks used to run right past the house at Aliceton. I have a table that was in the E.H. Pipes House in Gravel Switch. My grandfather J.T. Pipes Sr. told the story that all the children raced home after church each Sunday and pried open the locked drawer in the table to get at a card game they wanted to play. The table was supposedly brought from Ireland by David Hourigan who was the father of E.H. Pipes' wife, Victoria Hourigan. I'm stumped at that because David Hourigan's father Patrick was a Revolutionary War soldier so David wasn't an immigrant-he must have gone to Ireland to visit and brought it back - wish I could get on Antiques Roadshow to see what they could tell me about the table. Well I've gone on and on. I have a question. Why are there two graves for Sallie Montgomery Pipes? Keep up the good work - I hope to be sending you money from my Dad very soon-I have to explain all this to him again. Judy Miller

No comments: